[Opensim-dev] oddities with asset storage

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Wed Feb 18 16:41:00 UTC 2009

Dirk Krause wrote:
[...]
> But isn't that ... horrible? (in lack of a better/worse word.)
>
> As I said yesterday, IMHO there is no real need to think about
> optimizations when you have
> a serious blocker like this. I would even go so far that this is a major
> roadblock for grid based technologies per se. (grid as in Rosedale's
> 'Happily now, Second Life has been proven to exist. If we disappeared
> tomorrow, the grid would be rebuilt by you.')
>
> I take it the bad news is that any proposed solution to this breaks SL
> compatibility?
>
> Maybe now would be a good time to take a step away from it.

so, what do you supposed should be done? ride OpenSim on web route 404? lots of
dangling references?

i supposed on a standalone system you could do ref counting or bidirectional
refs/links --- that however is not a very scalable solution for a grid with
sporadically connected grid components.

one avatar's garbage is another avatar's treasure...

	DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/