[Opensim-dev] Mesh to primitive converter

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 23:59:44 UTC 2009

I've heard of a tool that once existed that could recreate a tri-mesh (all
polygons are in the form of triangles) object and reproduce it in SL with
triangular shaped prims. I think it was a combination of a blender script
and a LSL script. The problem with such an approach is the relatively high
cost of prims in SL. I cant remember the name of the tool but I suspect some
careful googling and/or searching the SL forums might get you there.
Sculpties are rather limited in what shapes they can reproduce, but I think
a tool that could divide a complex mesh into multiple sculpties might be an
easier way to accomplish what you want.

As far as the server is concerned, all it needs to know is that an asset is
in a certain place/orientation in the scene and how other objects should
collide with it. One could potentially design a custom viewer which rather
than rendering prims or sculpties, could reference some attribute of the
scene object, say the object name or description which could contain
alternate rendering instructions, and display a custom mesh in it's place.
The collision proxy could be constructed in a cruder form of normal prims.
Such an approach would work in an unmodified OpenSim region, and even in SL,
but would require a special viewer.