[Opensim-dev] Organization and naming patterns of commands on the console

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:15:35 UTC 2009

Ai Austin wrote:
> Any chance we can have the verb first, as this is much more intuitive?  E.g.
>       create user
>       create region
>
> Also, we really want to then avoid having some commands with hyphen
> if some do not.  That awkward to get right . I always  do
> "create-user" and then realise it does not work. E,g,
> "command-script  would have to be changed

I hear you - I'm also personally starting to favour a solution that doesn't require an initial module keyword (though
then ideally one has to try and catch clashes between modules which try and register the same command).

I also know what you mean about the inconsistency - I do hope that will clear up eventually (at least within core), but
it's actually quite a chore to correct because of the various ad hoc parsing of commands that goes on.

> Another thing...  if the command is not recognized or has parameter
> issues, just now it just comes back to the prompt.  A little
> acknowledgement that the command is not recognized would be nice.

I agree.  Unfortunately, there is again quite a bit of messiness in the code that prevent this being easily done right now.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey