[Opensim-dev] Opensim-dev Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

Ralf Haifisch ralf at ralf-haifisch.biz
Sun Feb 1 00:31:30 UTC 2009

Hi all,

did put the new dynamic method on
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid#Linking_regions to spread the word.

Cheers,
Ralf

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:29:01 -0500
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick at cise.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] TP protocol handle
To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

This is impressive and faster than using link-region. It made me wonder
whether
there was a keyboard shortcut for the in-viewer browser, but I cannot
see one
in the web pages that list the shortcuts.. Worked fine through the chat
window,
though.
-p

Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
> Forgot to say this.
> If you want to experience this right now without installing, you can
> try it in UCI's regions in OSGrid, "UCI Welcome" and "UC Irvine".
>

> Kyle wrote:
>> Amazing! Cannot wait to try it soon....

Videira
>> Lopes
>> Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:49 PM
>> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
>> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] TP protocol handle
>>
>> Thanks all for the pointers. I now understand a lot better what these
>> handles are all about, and I've done the first step into pervasive
>> hyperlinking within OpenSim.
>>
>> Starting in r8193, if you're in an HG-enabled region, you'll be able to
>> dynamically link sims, and TP there, in any one of these ways (and
>> probably more)
>>
>> 1) Type for example secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ in the
>> chat box, pull up the chat history and click on that link
>>
>> 2) Pull up the map and search for things like ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007
>>
>> 3) Using the embedded browser visit pages that have links like
>> secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ (there's one up at
>> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/hypergrid/test.html)
>>
>> What I've done is to take advantage of the viewer's existing machinery,
>> especially its interpretation of secondlife:// handles, which expect a
>> region name to follow. When that name is not found in the local grid,
>> this new code kicks in, and does the magic.
>>
>> This doesn't address the launching of the viewer, which is a separate
>> issue, and one that slurl and similar mechanisms like rezzme:// try to
>> address. What it does is, after you're already logged in soomewhere, you
>> can go hypergriding around in a very easy way, all within the viewer's
>> capabilities.
>>
>> The static link-region command and uploads over the web, is still very
>> useful because it supports permanent links. The ones I added are not
>> (intended to be) permanent, they (will) come and go.
>>
>> Feedback welcome!
>>
>> Crista
>>
>> Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
>>> links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
>>> like this
>>>
>>> http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/
>>>
>>> and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.
>>>
>>> The question is: what should these handles look like?
>>>
>>> I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
>>> understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
>>> out. In any case, I see:
>>>
>>> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
>>> secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
>>> for some reason)
>>> rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come