[Opensim-dev] Server based navigation/pathfinding

V.Rovensky v.rovensky at lit.cz
Wed Dec 23 14:14:45 UTC 2009

Hi everyone
I'm trying to implement pathfinding and some navigation for my bots (written in libOpenMetaVerse) and it seems it would be more efficient to do this on the server's side, instead of on the client. Ideally, I'd like to go through the region's prims and terrain and create a navigation graph consisting of various waypoints and then apply some standard algorithm like Dijkstra or A* to find the route for my bot. I was thinking I could create an invisible prim for every waypoint and reimplement the autopilot function so it suits my needs a little more. To do this I suppose I need to do the following:
    1) Be able to access all the region's prims, their locations and shapes to create and manage the graph of waypoints
    2) Be able to reimplement the autopilot function, so whenever the client starts autopilot, my method gets called and sends the client along the computed route.

Could this be done via RegionModules? I'm fairly new to OpenSim development, so any tips that could point me the right way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your time
V.Rovensky