[Opensim-dev] Main Repository now in Git

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Thu Aug 6 07:22:46 UTC 2009

Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just my comment on the use of "git" instead of "svn" ...
> ... Was so simple for us ( "non - core-devs" ) when it was on subversion
>
> I've read the git documentation, and sure many many feature are
> interresting for active core-devs, but ...
>
> - The details posted on OpenSim Commits list are so uggly, and
> unreadable ... Was really better before, the diffs were included in the
> mail ... was helpful, because we were able to see what has changed in a
> commit, the post "Subject" isn't clear at all ( maybe it's because the
> transition between svn & git is not finished yet ),
> - About, "revisions" ... now, it's impossible to know what release
> number is "current" ...
> (( As somebody mentioned here, all my scripts performing an automatic
> upgrade are now broken :( ))
>
> Anyway, that doesn't change the quality of the work done :D
> ... that will only make our task harder to maintain our opensim servers ...
>
> The only thing is that "svn" if more "user-friendly" than "git",

as somehow who has suffered from the many many quirks of svn --- and was a firm
disbeliever in git when sean "evangelized" it in the IBM opensim community way
back when --- i've since come to LOVE git. sure it's different (but then cars
are different to horse-drawn coaches :-) and, yes, i can sympathize with the
"release naming issue" --- but i've to say, it's much more user friendly because
i as a user of it have considerable less problems with it and have in fact more
freedom to work MY workflow instead of having to bow to SVN.

just my CHF 0.02 ;-)

	cheers,
	drs/dirk

--