[Opensim-dev] moving away from grid vs. standalone

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:46:37 UTC 2009

diva at metaverseink.com wrote:
> Around now, or last week, would probably be a good time to tag something
> stable :-)
>
> I don't mind at all moving this refactoring to a branch, but since we
> have never done that I wouldn't even know what to do. I don't expect
> this to be bad. The transition to RESTComms was done without almost
> anyone noticing it, except the brave explorers in OSGrid who have to
> deal with having neighbors on all sorts of different versions. But
> except for the version mismatches, which are really impossible to manage
> from a development perspective, most people only noticed when suddenly
> OpenSim.ini didn't have the remoting port anymore. And RESTComms
> actually involved a complete replacement of the underlying protocol from
> Remoting to http+REST, which is not the case here -- the protocol won't
> change, at least not now.

I agree with you, I don't think that this would be some huge breaking change, it seems to be blown out of proportion a
bit :).

Like Charles, I think the important thing is just that the change is advertised and documented in some minimal way so
that the community can come along and build on that documentation and help other people adjust.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey