[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Wed Apr 15 08:27:16 UTC 2009

I believe that, for technical purposes, a "grid" should indeed be
seen as a trust domain. That was what the protocol was designed for
and bending it to anything else would be very painful and not
entirely successful, feature-wise. The Linden-designed protocol
elements are best suited to that situation, and the HG ones are best
suited to untrusted connections.
OSGrid really does straddle the fence in many respects, but I think
it will change over time and become HG connected rather than
grid-structured. The server-centric region handoff system doesn't
allow for any level of content protection and being forced to share
asset and inventory servers is no longer needed in the new
architecture that Diva and I hashed out last night.
We would, indeed, arrive at a secure Hypergrid, and a true 3d
internet, much sooner if we made that distinction and considered a
"grid" as we know it today a trust domain.

 From that follows:
Region = Webpage
Grid = Website
Hypergrid = Internet

The operator of a complex, multipage website needs trust between
it's pages, and so the operator of a complex HG site with many
regions needs trust between them.

Melanie