[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

John Sheridan john at pseudospace.net
Wed Apr 15 05:50:07 UTC 2009

In a traditional sense yes, I'd say a grid would be defined as a trusted
authority - at least the standard Linden style of grid where all sims /
servers are administered by the same organization and access to the grid
services from externally connecting regions is disallowed.  Although in
regards to an open style of grid such as OSGrid I can't really imagine
how the grid operator could act as a trust authority as each individual
sim owner would have full control of their own sim's database as well
unfeathered access to whatever assets may be kept on the grid's
servers.  Surely a terms of service could be put into place, although
that wouldn't stop someone from bringing a sim online with a disposable
IP address, dumping it full of assets, then saving it all out to an oar
to do with as they wish.

My initial thought for a situation such as this would be to 1 - allow
the option of an entire grid to be treated as a trust authority which
handles closed off / Linden style grids, and 2 - to allow sims that are
connected to a grid the same ability as a standalone would have to
declare themselves as a trust authority, which technically covers both
standalones and open grids such as OSGrid.

Thanks, :)

 - John / Orion