[Opensim-dev] On Revisions, tags and branches

Chris Hart Chris at codetorque.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 17:04:23 UTC 2009

Perhaps it might be a good idea to have a list of known suspects who can
volunteer to test on a selection of platform combinations, and check a
box next to that configuration when it has been tested against a
specific release? Then perhaps put mantis reports specific to a certain
combination (linked to the mantis drop boxes?) next to selected
configurations so that folks know what potential issues are out there
that they might face? (I'll happily volunteer to test on Windows Server
2008 64bit, SQL 2008).

Having discovered http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Testing perhaps we can
have a thumbs up / down based on this or an enhanced version of this
that caters for more variation. For a good test, I would recommend that
grid testing involves a minimum 4 regions (so you can test crossing a
corner and see how well it works), and a minimum of two region servers -
I have a test plan for my own grid testing, but it's currently all in my
head and needs documenting. If anyone has their own test plans perhaps
we can share and put up on the wiki to get some really effective testing
going.

I say all this with some hesitation since I don't know what other folks
do, or whether something like this exists that I've not yet encountered
:) It feels like a release every two weeks would keep the majority of
folks who want the new shiny stuff happy, while also hopefully enabling
the devs to get some work done. Hard and fast rule this should never be
though, if a big new feature goes in that needs more time, let's give it
time, etc.

Keep the conversation going - this is all good  stuff! Thanks so much
Stefan for coordinating this.

Chris