[Opensim-dev] Place for osFoo functions that only work with certain languages

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 07:58:37 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:
> If we want to supply something a bit more "OpenSim" lets derive an OSSL
> Script engine from the LSL Script engine and give the region owner a choice
> as of what engine should be the 'default' for the region.

I'm assuming you mean "language" instead of "engine" in the above
paragraph? The script engine is (in general) capable of running
scripts written in any language.

> By the way; would it be a bad thing to use the "description" field for a
> script to set what engine it's supposed to run on?
>
> The description could be something like
> "<LSL> This is my bling bling script"
> or
> "<Python> This is my python script"
> or
> "<C#> This is my c# script"

This feels like a hack to me.  However the SL preview grid viewer has
a checkbox in the script window allowing the user to select whether to
run the script on Mono or the regular (now legacy) scripting runtime.

Perhaps this can somehow be exploited, turned into a drop-down? It's
likely hardcoded in the viewer, so implementing a drop-down might
involve hacking the viewer code, adding a new packet which the server
sends to indicate the choice of available scripting languages, and so
on.

At any rate, if it's *absolutely* needed, I suppose it'll do until
things are at the stage where the server and viewer can support this
natively in a dedicated field.

Mike