[Opensim-dev] Uris: Errors/Inconsistencies/TBD

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Tue Sep 9 08:20:13 UTC 2008

Just a quick one,

I don't have time to fix this up, and I guess we should discuss it first;

the issue is that parts of the code presumes url segments _ends_ with '/' and others they _begin_ with '/'

this leads to heavy confusion and easily done mistakes

now, the Uri class (which, together with UriBuilder, is poorly underused) ToString _appends_ an '/'

which I consider the proper behaviour: all segments appends an '/' to show they represent a hierarchy node.

I've already made the inventoryUrl wrapping an Uri to safeguard against missing trailing '/' in the ini, which is/was one of our most common mistakes, it seems. (and a bloody easy one at that)

Now, for example, the REST code, presumes the opposite

which means we can't combine the output of a Uri with the output from the RestClient.

So I can't wrap the asset url the same way.

Which sucks.

Either way, I suggest we use postfix notation in accordance with Uri class standard, but most of all I would want us to harmonize on one or the other.

Discussions?

/Stefan