[Opensim-dev] Thoughts on Scripting

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 16:36:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Mike Deem <mike at maimedleech.com>wrote:.......

> I also like to think about the "content creator" role and how it differs
> from the "developer" role. The "content creator" uses powerful in-world
> building tools to create stuff. The "developer" would extend the tools
> available to "content creator" by adding external modules to the region.

Many (if not most) SL content creators, including myself, rely upon outside
tools to accomplish their work. Photoshop or another image editor are very
common as SL provides no in-world editing tools. There are specialized
applications for creating clothing for SL avatars, and some content, such as
sculpties and animations, are created exclusively outside SL, Many scripts
serve as only an interface between the  SL world and the outside computers
running code which could be far more complex than the simple scripting model
could otherwise support. I think what is being proposed here may already
exist and was probably considered by the Linden developers, but the
implementation was quite crude and restrictive.

One advantage to having in-world tools available is it encourages everyone
to try to create content and this has helped lead to wider acceptance and
popularity of SL.

That said, I'd love to see more examples of using Opensim's APIs as a more
advanced way of developing special applications :D