[Opensim-dev] Status of Messaging

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 08:23:30 UTC 2008

Current state of messaging

point to point messaging is working region to region with the user
server/grid server directing where the messages should go.  Currently this
goes over XMLRPC between regions.

Presence is managed by the Message Server.   All presence data is stored
inproc.

XMPP over BOSH is the goal.   The main reason for that is many of the
functions of a normal XMPP client are taken over by the simulator.   In
addition, there's positional and region/server data that allows messages to
not have to flow through a central server.
It's simply Sim A---> Sim B, Sim B ---> Sim A.

XMPP would be Sim A----> XMPP Server ---> Sim B..    Sim B ----> XMPP Server
---> Sim A
that adds a point of failure..  bottleneck..  and all that.

At the very least we do want XMPP as a configurable option though

Best Regards

Teravus

PS: Check out the Instant Message Module and the Friends Module for the
region side code to messaging.   Check out the User Server and Message
Server for the Grid side code to messaging.