[Opensim-dev] Script engine base functional merge - Dot Net Engine

krtaylor krtaylor at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 4 14:30:47 UTC 2008

Here's a brief status and some thoughts.

For those who are new, a recap - I am working to port the DotNetEngine
to make use of  ScriptEngine.Shared LSL and OSSL, created at the same
time as the XEngine, instead of using ScriptEngine.Common. Just as DNE
was built around Common, XEngine is built around the use of the new
Shared. But, the design for the two engines are very different. The
initial refactoring of DNE out of Common removed Remote and moved the
classes temporarily into ScriptEngine.DotNetEngine also making use of
some of Shared where I could. This is posted in the patch attached to
#1780.

Last week, after a very painful resync to trunk, I started down the path
of making ScriptEngine (the name for DNE) implement IScriptEngine. My
first attempt was to pull in XScriptInstance. While this was underway,
XScriptInstance was moved and refactored out of XEngine.cs into a
seperate file ScriptInstance.cs. Don't get me wrong, this was a good
thing, but once again, I am having to play catch up. The merge target is
moving rapidly.

I went back through commits looking for this refactor and realized that
most of the new script engine code, enhancements and fixes are NOT
happening to both trees. Most of the patches are for Shared or XEngine
only. In my sample period of  a few weeks, I only found one patch
applied to Common. It appears that the project has made a switch,
whether consciously or not. XEngine is becoming the script engine of choice.

So, I'll throw this out there - Are we still interested in making
DotNetEngine an equal partner in our stable of script engines? OR, are
we on a road where we are eventually going to deprecate DotNetEngine?
Frankly, from the commit logs from the past several weeks, it appears to
be the latter...

Comments?

--
Kurt R Taylor (Kurt Stringer)