[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] Grid Numberging

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Fri Oct 31 10:34:38 UTC 2008

Codifying a UUID is considered a "bad thing"(tm). The right way to go is to never trust (rely on) a given guid, only to trust (rely on) internally assigned guids.

So, if grid A tells grid B that it has guid X, B could store this data, but will store the data with the internally generated guid Y as key. And whenever it refers to it internally it will refer to Y, not X.
If B needs tell third-party grid C about X, you've probably done something wrong, and that will be a trust issue right there.

The same goes for regions in a grid as well, as well as for clients to a region. All trust boundaries, and all potential exploits.

This said, I know that we just want things working fast, so if you all sexy people think codification is the way to go, codify away!
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : http://tribalnet.se/

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:51:37 +0100From: lcc1967 at gmail.comTo: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de; opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: [Opensim-users] Grid NumbergingHelloAs it seems Hypergrid TP is a must have, I suggest we start to codify our Grid UUID to avoid any duplicate ID.We could mention the Grid UUID root on the wiki where our grids are listed. Each region for a given grid should start with the same root.It will help to solve any duplicate issue.Feedback ?Laurent AKA Sacha Magne