[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Thu Oct 30 18:27:11 UTC 2008

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Strong -1 on committing this code directly to core at this stage.
>
> Charles, I strongly believe it would be better for us to see this mature a little as an external module first, rather
> than committing code directly to core.  Please could we hold off at least until the code has reached some level of
> maturity, at which point we can have a discussion about what we want to do.

+1 on Justin's -1 :-)
There's no way I would propose the code as is today for a core patch;
there's a lot stuff that is still loose.
But I hope people will want the hypergrid model enough that the
extensions will be delivered on the same "package" as the core, soon.
And I hope there are volunteers from the core developers to help bring
this up to speed!

> There is also an argument that such modules should eventually be outside the core anyway.  The OGP modules we have are
> in there because our region infrastructure module isn't advanced enough to make it easy to host these outside of core.
> This is something we should address (either having some protocol modules in or having them all out).

+1 on that too. The hypergrid extension would be even simpler than what
already is if only I could define externally what the comm module is. I
suspect OGP suffers from the same problem.

> That's not to say that this isn't very interesting work, Cristina.  Does the code fit into the module structure?

Yes. As I said, the only weirdness comes because I can't spec the comms
module. If you change that, it will be a charm (modulo some visibility
changes here and there).
> I had thoughts along similar lines for distributed grids.
>
> http://justincc.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/could-there-be-a-future-without-big-grids/
>
> but I never actually implemented anything = so fair do's to Cristina.  Also, my thoughts were to conduct everything
> client side.
>
> The problem does some with asset and inventory and routing this information around.  My thinking was that it would be
> better if the client fetch this information directly rather than via the sim, but this would require extensive (and
> probably difficult) client changes.

A smarter client would make a lot of things a lot easier...