[Opensim-dev] OSGrid <-> UCIGrid

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:06:11 UTC 2008

Charles Krinke wrote:

> Dear Crista:
>
> I have no problem supporting and committing patches to core from your
> efforts. Please move forward as you see appropriate.

Strong -1 on committing this code directly to core at this stage.

Charles, I strongly believe it would be better for us to see this mature a little as an external module first, rather
than committing code directly to core.  Please could we hold off at least until the code has reached some level of
maturity, at which point we can have a discussion about what we want to do.

This would be the same policy that we've tried to establish in the wake of other architectural changes (such as secure
inventory) which really need some review and consideration first

There is also an argument that such modules should eventually be outside the core anyway.  The OGP modules we have are
in there because our region infrastructure module isn't advanced enough to make it easy to host these outside of core.
This is something we should address (either having some protocol modules in or having them all out).

That's not to say that this isn't very interesting work, Cristina.  Does the code fit into the module structure?

I had thoughts along similar lines for distributed grids.

http://justincc.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/could-there-be-a-future-without-big-grids/

but I never actually implemented anything = so fair do's to Cristina.  Also, my thoughts were to conduct everything
client side.

The problem does some with asset and inventory and routing this information around.  My thinking was that it would be
better if the client fetch this information directly rather than via the sim, but this would require extensive (and
probably difficult) client changes.

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com