[Opensim-dev] Update libode, or work towards better physics handling in this libode revision?

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:13:53 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 23:04:44 -0400
"Teravus Ovares" <teravus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to let you know that there are some differences in the
> latest ODELibrary 0.10.1 that mean that I'll have to update the
> frequency we collision test and re-calibrate the world. (a week long
> process probably)..   So
>
> Where does the community want to go?
> Keep the libODE that we have currently and make physics better using
> it, or update to 0.10.1 calibrate the world to that, and then make
> physics better.

What are the benefits of updating to 0.10.1? Are there any significant
improvements over the existing version?

My gut says update to 0.10.1 now. Say they release 0.10.5 in a few
weeks with some changes that make it very worthwhile to upgrade, then
you'll have to calibrate the world anyhow.

How often can you expect such changes in ODE that force a week-long
recalibration process? If this happens every release, then perhaps it's
better to wait for a must-have upgrade.

Thanks,
Mike