[Opensim-dev] Tracking Documentation in Mantis

Rob Smart rob.s.smart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:35:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Sean Dague <sdague at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob Smart wrote:
> > Random suggestion here ... anyone think it would be a good/bad idea to
> track
> > documentation on Mantis ?
> >
> > By this I mean create a Mantis category for documentation, then people
> can
> > submit a bug report on there if they can't find enough info about
> something
> > they need.
> >
> > Then we can use Mantis to track the state of the docs too, plus people
> can
> > raise defects against out of date/incorrect docs in a more visible way.
>
> You over estimate how visible stuff in mantis is. :)

Hehe point taken...
however, it is more visible and manageable than the wiki simply for the fact
that new bug entries and fixed bug entries get posted in multiple locations.
IRC and Twitter for a start.

There's also the recognition bonus for none code contributors i.e.  "So and
So added some useful documentation about X" seeing documentation updates
like that might make other IRC/Twitter
listeners more inclined t goa nd look at the new entries or contrbute their
own..

> > Thoughts ?
>
> Do you mean for documentation in code, or in the wiki?  If it's for the
> code, I think mantis is appropriate.  If it's in the wiki I think there
> are better ways to do that.

I meant documentation in the wiki. I'm open to suggestions of how to better
track and request entries/changes on the wiki. However at the moment i feel
documentation is lacking currently
and bringing the request/recognition mechanisms inline with those for code
contribution may help.

The problem  with normal wiki usage is that yes you can add comments on the
comment pages but someone has to actively go and look for them. rather than
doing a quick priority sort on documentation
in Mantis, plus the IRC updates help give peripheral vision of  updates
occuring.