[Opensim-dev] Small but important things

Mircea Filipescu mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 2 01:12:32 UTC 2008

Over the time I noticed and reported many small and apparently
unimportant missing features and implementations in Opensim. They
haven't been looked at pretty much however, probably due to being
considered too small compared to bigger issues. They're mainly about
some things and features I initially found simple but who's effects (or
rather absence) is noticeble in-world. I thought it might be fun and
helpful to make a list with them and send it here, so maybe they can be
re-checked and if someone knows they might get implemented easily. So
this is my list of tiny things:

-
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=428 - Effects not showing
while having a prim selected: When you keep a prim selected on the LL
grid you have particles flowing from your hand to that prim, but on OS
that doesn't happen.

-
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2071 - No footstep and
collision sound: Although you do hear footsteps when you walk on
terrain if a sound for them was loaded, none are heard when walking
over prims. Also, if you bump into a prim no sounds are heard either
nor if a physical prim hits something.

-
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=964 - Classic clouds not
rendered: The classic particle clouds are not rendered in Opensim when
that option is enabled from the Environment Editor.

-
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=1028 - Script saving
notifications don't work: When someone saves a script, the "Compile
successful, saving..." and "Save complete" messages should appear in
the lower field of the script editor window (the 2nd place right before
the area where you edit the script itself) where script errors are also
printed out. Currently there is a "Compile successful" popup but
normally these messages should be displayed in that field like on the
LL grid.

- http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=946 -
Avatar jumps / crouches in the direction it faces: Movement in Opensim
isn't implemented correctly and an avatar always attempts to go in the
direction the camera faces. If you look up and press the "walk forward"
key, the avatar jumps up rather then walking forward because you're
looking up, which is not normal and mouselook must only consider the X
and Y axes orientation when walking towards where the camera faces
(does not apply while flying however as there you do move up and down
too).

- http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=1487 - "Go
here" doesn't work correctly: Last I checked the Go Here command in the
pie menu was not correctly implemented and didn't work, causing the
avatar to walk infinitely towards a certain direction other then the
chosen spot. Sit here works and auto-walks you to the point you clicked
on, so Go Here can do the same thing just without sitting once you get
there.

- http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=1125 - Drop
doesn't work for attachment: Another tiny command that's been missed...
an attachment cannot be dropped to the ground with that command (at
least last time I checked).

-
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=1408 &
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=1407 - Terrain textures
& Grass realign at every startup session: Every time you restart a
region the terrain textures and bits of grass realign in different
positions. Normally this is very unimportant, but those who want things
to be precise might be bothered by this. Sometimes for example there's
green grass on a hill then after you restart the simulator that hill is
covered in dirt because terrain Texture 1 and terrain Texture 2 blended
differently around that height range.

I found these small issues
but which may have an important impact on in-world experience (at least
the first 5). So I just thought to point them here in a single email
and maybe someone can check them and implement at least a few of them
soon if they can be done :)