[Opensim-dev] More on asset portability

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 05:27:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 20:36 -0700, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> I've more comments on the rest of this, but I have to address one point first...
>
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:39 PM, liu xiaolu <lulurun at gmail.com> wrote:
> > UseCase II.
> >>User B uploads a texture, which AI does it go in?  User B puts that
> >>texture on a surface, what AI does it live in?
> >
> > Since AssetServer and InventoryServer has became properties of an user, when
> > an user specified AI server urls avaliable, regionserver should always
> > get/put
> > user owned assets from/to the user specified AI server.
> > So in this case,
> > * User B uploads a texture, it gose in Grid B's AI.
> > * User B puts that texture on a surface:
> > this is a quite complecated thing.
> > "that texture" belongs to User B, but when it is put on a region owned prim,
> > a copy of "that texture" should be made, and the copy should be saved in
> > Grid A's asset server. ...
> > yes,
> >            "More thought needed."  -- stefan
>
> So, you're essentially saying that assets should be automatically
> copied based on the local InventoryServer's interpretation of
> ownership?
>
> What if the local InventoryServer is malicious and doesn't have any
> desire to adhere to ownership rules?
>
> -Kyle H

When you talk about malicious InventoryServers you start walking into
dangerous territory because really *any* program could be potentially
compromised, and we start wandering off into the dark jungle of security
and DRM.

No one is claiming that those problems either don't exist or are already
solved. What lulurun is trying to do is solve a very specific problem
that relates to moving one function from one server to another.

The problem you're bringing up is entirely different and is an issue
with existing OpenSim. If I wanted to go offtopic, I'd say that we
should use crypto techniques to uniquely identify trusted servers in a
grid, or some such.

Cheers,