[Opensim-dev] Proposal for using OpenID in OpenSim

liu xiaolu lulurun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:23:24 UTC 2008

> Where do you think .ini files for individual modules should go?
First, seperate OpenSim's src and bin.
opensim/bin/OpenSim.exe
                  /OpenSim.Grid.GridServer.exe ...
opensim/lib/Nini.dll
                 /libsecondlife.dll ...
            /conf/OpenSim.ini
                   /mysql_connection.ini ...
                   /Regions/default.xml
            /module/openid.dll
                        /loadbalancer.dll

in OpenSim.ini
Load "module/appearance_persist.dll"
;Load "module/openid_authentication.dll"
Load "module/load_balancer.dll"
Load "module/region_proxy.dll"
If you do not want to use a module, you just simply ;(comment) it

2008/3/28, Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com>:

> [...]
> >     > OpenID takes any control of those variables out of my hands, and
> if
> >     > they have an issue, my service is offline.
> >
> >     If you don't trust a 3rd party, you're able to run your own OpenID
> >     server with your own rules. That one will only ever go down if you
> die
> >     or the internet quits working. That's the Open part.
> >
> >     > Sure, it allows some level of interoperability, but I don't
> consider
> >     > it worth the risk for my projects. Just do a Google search for
> >     > "OpenID security" (or similar search parameters) and read about
> the
> >     > concerns a lot of people have about OpenID.
> >
> >     I'm sure OpenID isn't a panacea, but as has been said repeatedly,
> >     no one
> >     is suggesting it be required for all people using OpenSim.
> >
> >     Cheers,
> >
> >     > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> >     > My understanding is that, like OpenID is currently used on the
> >     > web,
> >     > which is you could use OpenID if you have one, or the
> >     > old-fashion type
> >     > if you don't.
> >     >
> >     > However, with OpenID > 1.0, it is possible to add attributes,
> >     > so OpenID
> >     > in OpenSim is a means of avatar portability, since one of the
> >     > attributes
> >     > would be a URL to where your avatar can be found.
> >     >
> >     > That can't be done the old fashioned way.
> >     >
> >     > What specifically is your concern about OpenID?
> >     >
> >     > Cheers,
> >     >
> >     > On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 23:57 -0400, The Burnman wrote:
> >     > > And I take it we are still on the "optional module" page in
> >     > reference
> >     > > to OpenID, yes?
> >     >
> >     > > _______________________________________________
> >     > > Opensim-dev mailing list
> >     > > Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> >     > --
> >     > Software Engineer
> >     > http://www.3di.jp
> >     >
> >     > The opinions expressed herein represent those of the
> >     > individual, and do
> >     > not constitute company policy unless expressly stated.
> >     >
> >     > Opensim-dev mailing list
> >     > Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> >     >
> >     > Opensim-dev mailing list
> >     > Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> >     --
> >     Software Engineer
> >     http://www.3di.jp
> >
> >     The opinions expressed herein represent those of the individual,
> >     and do
> >     not constitute company policy unless expressly stated.

Liu Xiaolu