[Opensim-dev] Proposal for using OpenID in OpenSim

SignpostMarv Martin opensim at signpostmarv.name
Fri Mar 28 13:27:51 UTC 2008

My ideas for integrating OpenID with OpenSim ran along the lines of
using the web login system. The OpenID server itself could run entirely
separately from OpenSim, then when a user has succesfully authenticated
with the OpenID protocol, the OpenID server injects an appropriate value
into the web login field and redirects the browser to a secondlife://
(or opensim://) URL that triggers a web-based login.

This way, no OpenID code has to touch the OpenSim code at all, removing
any problems relating to licensing issues.

As for data portability, I monologued in either AW Groupies or IRC about
how OpenID Attribute Exchange could be used to link to an inventory
manifest file, allowing users to take their content with them wherever
they went on the grid.

~ Marv.