[Opensim-dev] LindenLab tightens policy on Trademarks

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Tue Mar 25 20:30:56 UTC 2008

I kind of like the "verse" of metaverse in place of grid.  It's short
and lends itself well to names like OSVerse, CentralVerse,
OpenSim.Verse.AssetServer.exe, and etc.  The different verses are all
parts of the larger metaverse.

John Ward
jward/JohnnyB Hammerer

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Actually, no cyberpun(k) intended; but 'Matrix' is a descriptive term
> for this (legacy and rather unimaginative) arrangement of nodes. Quite
> possibly the bland term 'table' would work as well. 'Lattice' is
> probably what we want, what with groups of groups and all. (A lattice
> can be formed by sub-lattices)
>
> Or, why don't we just leave the 2d-flat earth notion of a
> grid/matrix/table/lattice and move our mindsets more towards a 'Net',
> 'Whorl', 'Dispersion', 'Maelstrom' or 'Interjectory'?
>
> Yours dispersed thru time and space,
> /Stefan
>
> PS: All this aside, I say we write everything LL or SL - trademark -
> derivative  -out- of the core and wiki ASAP. God only Knows where LL is
> headed what with recent movements and events. Let's pose it 'the great
> mental cast off' DS.

>  > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:46:39 -0800
>  > From: alondria at gmail.com
>  > To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
>  > Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] LindenLab tightens policy on Trademarks
>  >
>  > Ah yes, but there is also the issues of OSGrid, CentralGrid, etc..
>  >
>  > And our prolific use of the term in various places, etc.. Will this
>  > cause an issue?
>  >
>  > I still cannot believe their trademarked Hippo - that wasn't even a LL
>  > creation - their users started that in beta.
>  >
>  > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Dr Scofield
> <DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net> wrote:
>  > > Garth FairChang wrote:
>  > > > Suggestions for grid:
>  > > >
>  > > > Continent mode
>  > > > World mode
>  > > >
>  > > > There must be more
>  > > metaverse.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the
  urge to rule.”   H.L. Mencken