[Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Mar 20 07:54:41 UTC 2008

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>> There is the need to guarantee patent-free source code.
>>

> Source code cannot be patented.  Source code is copyrighted.
>
> The invention of "a computer which is programmed to do X, Y, and Z"
> can be patented.  (I don't particularly agree with this, but this is
> the way things currently stand.)

In this case, the expression "patent-free" hints that there is no
related patent and no concern of infringement by the use of the code.

> And the BSD license under which opensim is distributed makes no
> mention of patents.

It leaves an option to create patents. Some may find that desirable, and
other may find it a security issue.
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html#whatpat

The simple answer to he thread probably is to have separate repositories
that can be coordinated together somehow as some suggest. I think open
standards are more viable.