[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 23:34:56 UTC 2008

--- Cristina Videira Lopes <lopes at ics.uci.edu> wrote:

> Client-side asset storage (inventory, I assume) makes very little sense to
> me. It would mean that I could only login from one computer; I have enough
> trouble already managing my documents while making use of 5 computers at
> the
> same time. 3rd-party inventory storage makes a lot more sense, and that's
> more or less what realXtend has recently done.

Am I missing something?  I thought we were moving towards an architecture
where the inventory would be decoupled from the region simulator.  In
addition, isn't it the plan to enable various objects to be served up from
different locations?

If this is still the way things are going to go, what prevents someone from
deciding to hold their inventory on their own machine?  They might need some
sort of publicly resolvable URL, but it seems like it could be done rather
easily.  I guess this discussion is more about what ends up being standard
practice among popular grids than what can technically be done with plugins
or other code mods.

I think maybe what confuses me about this discussion is the idea that having
data on a client's machine is in some way more likely to lead to stealing.
I guess the implication is that having an easily accessed directory of stuff
would encourage sharing, whereas leaving assets on servers means the server
operator is responsible, which is a more comfortable situation for the
content creator.  Is that the point?

-dan