[Opensim-dev] Thoughts....

dr scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Mon Mar 3 10:11:41 UTC 2008

The Burnman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net
> <mailto:cfk at pacbell.net>> wrote:
>
>     As we move forward and to draw a real-world analogy. It is
>     appropriate for me to keep my clothes, wallet and celephone in my
>     home and not to get new clothes for each building I enter during
>     the business day.
>
>     In order to move forward with a metaverse, we will need to get to
>     the point where a user indeed does carry his inventory along with
>     him. Now, to address your point, there may be certain things that
>     carry certain permissions that are kept on certain servers, but I
>     suspect you will need to rethink your paradigm from the existing
>     LL notion and modify it to consider a metaverse with a number of
>     grids (or buildings) and users that move from one to the other
>     much like we do in RL. That will mean that the notion of inventory
>     will need to evolve to avoid your notions becoming extinct.
>

> So in the development of a metaverse...  are you under the impression
> that all content created for use in such an environment should be
> completely free and open-sourced like OS is?  I ask this because with
> client side storage of assets, you are removing any protection content
> creators have that their content won't be duplicated and resold.  I
> don't know about you...  but I don't know that many content creators
> who have the resources to seek legal action against the number of
> people that will exploit local asset storage.
>
> I, for one, will not be all that interested in developing quality
> content for a system which affords my work no protection.  I don't
> know that many people who currently create content for SL who would do
> so either.  It seems an awful waste of talent.
not necessarily. remember you talking to folks who are in the process of
creating the metaverse of the future --- and it's under a BSD style
license. not even GPL. awful waste of talent? don't think so. rather an
incredible demonstration of talent.

i can copy bootlegged MP3s...i choose not to and instead buy them. of
course i expect a fair price (having to pay the same amount for an MP3
album as for the CD when i foot the bill for the bandwith and storage
and don't get the plastic and the content provider doesn't have to
entertain a supply chain is not a fair price). give me a good user
experience, give me good content at a fair price and i will buy anytime
instead of copying (even though i could copy).

> I will continue to test my grid and offer what I can in that realm,
> and offer my insights into end-user functionality... which should be a
> major focus in the development cycle, but I am not sure where the
> benefit is to a metaverse which will end up less secure for content
> creators... and their Intellectual Property... than the internet we
> have today.
i claim the metaverse will end up with will be as secure as the internet
we have today --- today's internet is not secure in the sense you are
assuming it to be.

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, mathmatics and computer science, ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/