[Opensim-dev] Is it possible to remove the 'guarantee' that assets referenced only as a uuid in a script will always exist? (was Re: Proposal to eliminate the name...)

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:36:41 UTC 2008

Dahlia Trimble wrote:
> Thanks for the great explantion Melanie.
>
> There was recently a discussion in sldev about asset garbage collection
> in Linden Lab's servers. Apparently they search for references for all
> assets in inventories, scripts, prim inventories, notecards, and
> probably a few places I cant think of offhand. If an asset is found to
> be unreferenced, the process will delete it. This was discussed as some
> people were talking about obfuscating scripts to prevent copying, and a
> linden was asking them not to do this as it could fool the asset garbage
> collector into thinking an asset was unreferenced if the only reference
> was in an obfuscated script.

 From this, it sounds like it isn't valid within the Second Life system
to take asset uuids as input to a script (or obfuscate them within the
script) and expect those assets to always exist.  Is this correct?

I always vaguely thought that asset reaping wasn't possible because of
the possibility of external input of uuids.  But if Linden Labs doesn't
make this guarantee, then it must also be possible for OpenSim to do
some asset reaping.  This would depend on the nature of the grid in
question (e.g. it would be easier to reap assets on a grid which only
allows its own region servers to connect).

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey