[Opensim-dev] Proposal to eliminate the name, description and invType fields from the assets db table

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:38:42 UTC 2008

Thanks for the great explantion Melanie.

There was recently a discussion in sldev about asset garbage collection in
Linden Lab's servers. Apparently they search for references for all assets
in inventories, scripts, prim inventories, notecards, and probably a few
places I cant think of offhand. If an asset is found to be unreferenced, the
process will delete it. This was discussed as some people were talking about
obfuscating scripts to prevent copying, and a linden was asking them not to
do this as it could fool the asset garbage collector into thinking an asset
was unreferenced if the only reference was in an obfuscated script.

The discussion was around May 19th and can be found in the sldev mailing
list archives.