[Opensim-dev] Should the core OpenSim distribution carrymanyscripting languages?

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Sat Jun 7 16:16:04 UTC 2008

+1

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
[mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Justin
Clark-Casey
Sent: Saturday, 7 June 2008 12:14 PM
To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Should the core OpenSim distribution
carrymanyscripting languages?

Thankyou for all the messages on this topic.  It sounds like we have a
rough consensus that we should try and keep the functionality that ships

with OpenSim down to some set of 'core' modules.  I expect that the idea

of what functionality constitutes the core will probably have to be
decided on a case by case basis, evolving over time.

In this particular case, it sounds like we should not regard Yield
Prolog as a core module.  However, I don't think our modular interface
(in the area of scripting) is quite advanced enough right now to support

a clean separation (though I haven't looked in any significant detail).
  Therefore, in my opinion this code should remain in the tree and
receive patches until the necessary underlying work is done to allow
Yield Prolog to be easily plugged in.  I don't think Kinoc follows this
list but I have made him aware of this discussion and what is likely to
happen in the future.

As regards non-core module hosting, to me it sounds like the easiest
first step is to ask module contributors to self host until we build up
enough modules to justify a repository system.  Of course, that doesn't
stop anyone establishing one in anticipation :)  I also like Stefan's
idea of listing the existing core modules on the wiki, which at least
would give people some idea of the plugin points that currently exist.

This is an interesting area for me so I hope to be able to do something
towards making it easy (or easier) to separate out language modules
soon, assuming no-one else works on this first.  I know Sean has also
expressed his intention to look at mono-addins and the module system in
general (which also needs to be improved, at the very least to provide
some general mechanism for including and excluding modules rather than
relying on the modules to do this for themselves).

Regards,

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey