[Opensim-dev] Should the core OpenSim distribution carry manyscripting languages?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:50:48 UTC 2008

Michael Wright wrote:
> +1 too, I think we need to expand this to a more general "rule". And
> when new modules etc are added, ask ourselves do they really belong in
> the core. Or would they be better placed in a CPAN type repository.
>
> After our experience of trying adding custom features to the backend
> commuincations/servers. I'm actually leaning towards questioning if the
> backend servers should really even be part of the core. Or if we really
> should just have a "framework" for creating backend systems in core. I
> know this is most likely more extreme than most people's thoughts. But I
> do believe its going to come up more and more in the future, unless we
> only are ever going to support SL clone type applications.

Personally, I think at this stage its good to have Second Life backend
server implementations in core to serve as a development trellis.  But I
do like where you're going.

What would be really good is if we could evolve the current reference
servers to implement the framework which makes it much easier to create
the other implementations, both SL and non-SL.  But then, as our dear
founder, you know that :D