[Opensim-dev] Should the core OpenSim distribution carry manyscripting languages?

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:44:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Michael Wright <michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> +1 too, I think we need to expand this to a more general "rule". And when
> new modules etc are added, ask ourselves do they really belong in the core.

I think this is a reasonable approach.

Think of Python modules. The core language comes with a set of proven
core functionality. As time goes on and third parties develop useful
modules, those useful modules become rock solid and enough of a staple
for everyone that they get included in the core.

By separating some OpenSim modules now and making it easy to add these
modules as part of an OpenSim deployment, the better modules will find
widespread use and can then be considered for bundling with the core.

Mike