[Opensim-dev] Quick question:

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 01:37:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:37:50 +0200
Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:

> Our project motto has always been that it should 'work out of the
> box' (that's partly why we have SQLIte at all) so defaulting to MySQL
> seems to violate that.

Sure, and standalone mode does work out of the box with SQLite.

However any serious app with a database backend will inform the user
that they need to install MySQL and create a database with an
appropriate login ID and password that they then feed to the app during
installation or setup. At which point it does work out of the box :D

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:50:52 +0100
Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> My understanding (which is somewhat assumed) is that these are
> defaulting to MySQL because running a grid implies a lot more regions
> and users.  By the time SQLite stops being able to handle the load,
> there's quite a bit of data which it has been awkward to port over to
> MySQL.
>
> I don't think it's unfair to make it a little more difficult to set
> up a grid, so I would actually be somewhat +1 on making the grid
> config MySQL as well.  Either way, we should make things consistent.

I agree with the above.

-1 on making SQLite the default DB for grid services.

Mike