[Opensim-dev] Quick question:

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 13:50:52 UTC 2008

Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> Perhaps a better question would be, "why are all of the database
> engines defaulting to MySQL when that requires more work to set up for
> a working installation than SQLite?"
>
> I'm not dissing MySQL.  I'm simply trying to understand why there's
> defaults to a non-default component.

My understanding (which is somewhat assumed) is that these are
defaulting to MySQL because running a grid implies a lot more regions
and users.  By the time SQLite stops being able to handle the load,
there's quite a bit of data which it has been awkward to port over to MySQL.

I don't think it's unfair to make it a little more difficult to set up a
grid, so I would actually be somewhat +1 on making the grid config MySQL
as well.  Either way, we should make things consistent.

> -Kyle H
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Ryan McDougall <sempuki1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I noticed that the defaults when starting up a grid server are in
>> OpenSim/Framework/*Config.cs, and that the database engines all default
>> to MySQL (presumably the best supported engine) except the inventory
>> server, which defaults to SQLlite in grid mode.
>>
>> Is there a reason for this, or should it be set to MySQL as well?
>>
>> Cheers,

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com