[Opensim-dev] [Resent] Proposal to move region specific parts of the "Estate" settings to the region datastore

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Tue Jul 1 01:45:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

Charles Krinke wrote:
> We have a number of variables in estate_settings.xml. One of them is region_flags which is used to start and stop scripts amongst a number of other things.
>
> Since we are already able to start and stop scripts from the estate menu, we are already both reading and writing variables such as region_flags.
>
> It would be really wonderful if you could expand your commentary a bit. I know there is some complexity in this area and understanding what you intend to do is one of my goals. With all due respect, the comments made so far are a somewhat simplistic description of a more complex issue.
>
> As a result, I have significant concerns about how the proposal to change this functionality will work. So, please explain a bit more in technical detail to describe what your are intending to do.
>
> Charles

The ultimate goal of this patch is to obsolete estate_settings.xml
in a gentle transition.

Xml config files are required only for a setup using the Null
storage plugin, and can trivially be implemented within that plugin.
Even in that configuration, the architectural changes will make per
region settings, rather than per instance settings, possible.

Also, this series of patches aims to make the support for the estate
dialog into a module and make that module optional. It is not needed
for any client other than the linden one, and should therefore not
be a required part of Scene.

It will also expand the region parameter storage design to a point
where it is capable of storing flags not related to the LL client,
or the SL way of doing things.

Melanie