[Opensim-dev] [SLBIZ] Facebook as 2D social backend for Second Life (and Opensim)?

Tao Takashi tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 5 21:16:07 UTC 2008

Hi!

On Jan 5, 2008 1:24 PM, Giulio Prisco <metaxlr8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some ideas FYC:
>

> http://metaxlr8.net/index.php/site/facebook_as_2d_social_backend_for_second_life_and_opensim/

Of course it would be nice to have a better social networking backend
available in Second Life but I think instead of using a single network for
this (who knows how long these will be anyway or how "modern") the way to go
is to support open standards. Walled Gardens like Facebook etc. have all
their issues and this is why Data Portability will become more and more
important in the future (see http://dataportability.org).

It is also true that integrating SL into different 3rd party
applications/sites is important but I think that all this will be enabled in
the future by things like the Second Life Grid Architecture Working Group
which was instantiated last year by Linden Lab. It's aim is to create an
open standard for the Second Life Grid and makes it also possible to host
your own servers or connect complete grids together. One part of the
proposed architecture is the Agent Domain which basically is the social
networking part of a virtual world. By implementing this part on top of
existing networks it should be possible for them to easily add 3D support.
As for the Region Domain part OpenSim is one of the possible
implementations.

More info on the group at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Architecture_Working_Group or in one of my
blogposts at