[Opensim-dev] XMPP Support in OSSL

dirk husemann hud at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Jan 28 11:14:14 UTC 2008

Aldon Hynes wrote:
> Kel, et al.
>
> I don't have a lot of thoughts to offer, other than I think this is great.
> I did a little XMPP to MOO integration years ago.
>
> It is actually probably a pretty big project.  I might start off by keeping
> it really simple.
>
> First, I would set up OpenSim to run as a XMPP server.  The simplest form
> would be to have the JIDs be firstname+lastname at gridserver
>

> e.g.
> aldon+huffhines at osgrid.com etc.
>
> I would also consider as a future enhancement a JID for groups e.g.
>
> test at osgrid.com/group
>
> When I did something like this for my MOO programming, the server to server
> authentication was pretty complicated.  If I recall properly you need to
> look at the ability to both initiate and accept conversations.  I would
> focus on accepting conversations first.  (more on this a little later)
>
> I'd probably start off by setting up my own jabber server running something
> like ejabberd or Jabberd 2.0 Then, I would use it to test connections
> between my test jabber server and the OpenSim server.

from testing ejabberd, jabberd, and openfire, i've to say that openfire
is the easiest to get along with and it plays well with agsXMPP and
xmpppy (python lib, useful for writing scripts).

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield