[Opensim-dev] XMPP Support in OSSL

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Mon Jan 28 02:05:31 UTC 2008

Kel, et al.

I don't have a lot of thoughts to offer, other than I think this is great.
I did a little XMPP to MOO integration years ago.

It is actually probably a pretty big project.  I might start off by keeping
it really simple.

First, I would set up OpenSim to run as a XMPP server.  The simplest form
would be to have the JIDs be firstname+lastname at gridserver

e.g.
aldon+huffhines at osgrid.com etc.

I would also consider as a future enhancement a JID for groups e.g.

test at osgrid.com/group

When I did something like this for my MOO programming, the server to server
authentication was pretty complicated.  If I recall properly you need to
look at the ability to both initiate and accept conversations.  I would
focus on accepting conversations first.  (more on this a little later)

I'd probably start off by setting up my own jabber server running something
like ejabberd or Jabberd 2.0 Then, I would use it to test connections
between my test jabber server and the OpenSim server.

Once connections can be established, I would test sending messages and
checking presense.

In terms of sending messages, I would start by sending a message from a
Jabber client connected a standard jabber client into OpenGrid.  This will
get around a big issue which is how to initiate a jabber conversation from
within OpenGrid.

Once you can start a conversation externally into an OpenGrid, to either an
individual or a group, the next step would be to tweak the search mechanism.
I'm not sure what shape search is in with OpenSim right now, however, doing
a search for a person or a group with @gridserver should do a search of the
presence information on an external server.  Once a person or group is found
that way, ideally you should be able to add them as a friend or join the
remote group.  Then, you should be able to initiate conversations.

With this, you should be able to start some good OpenSim to OpenSim
connections.

Another idea is to start to build a community of people to help you develop
and test some of this.  Organizing open source projects can be complicated
and XMPP within OpenSim is probably a fairly complicated project in and of
itself.

I don't know how much time I'll have to help, but I'm very interested and
will do what I can to kick things around.

Aldon