[Opensim-dev] XMPP Support in OSSL

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Mon Jan 28 06:31:18 UTC 2008

Kel,

interesting project in deed, and it would show the strengths of an open solution.

I don't have much to offer when it comes to the actual implementation, more than to give you some general direction regarding "the opensim way":

1) It shouldn't be done as 'XMPP functions for OSSL' but as 'XMPP for OpenSim, supported by OSSL' - with this I mean that the chat functionality should be easily accessible for the platform (core, c#, application) developer to use and build upon.2) The ApplicationModule and/or RegionModule approach ususally is a very clean way to do this, if you shun from getting into the core functionality. The OSSL will then ask the core for the XMPP module and use that to implement chat-realted functions.
3) Decoupling - this functionality should be implemented as a xmpp helper lib that is then specialized into the OpenSim context; this will ensure that developers can write separate applications (for example opensim-specific chat servers and externalized bots) that can link that lib.

All this is very basic sound programming, and it is how we want to keep OpenSim.

/Stefan