[Opensim-dev] XMPP Support in OSSL

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Jan 27 22:26:37 UTC 2008

Kel Cecil kirjoitti:
> Hello.  I'm a student taking an Open Source Development class at West
> Virginia University Institute of Technology.  As part of the class,
> we've been asked to make a contribution to the OpenSim project.  After

Sounds great :)

> XMPP support.
>
> Before I start, I wanted to see if any developers would like to offer
> thoughts, insight or ideas?

It is an interesting take.

Just yesterday actually we somehow ended up in wondering how something
is in Jabber, and kind of recalling what exactly is going on with jabber
related stuff. We didn't go on to XMPP then, but yah it was an
interesting RFC to begin with .. I haven't followed most recent
devepments too much, so don't know if it relates to those other things
like SIP etc. But I figure many things in Jabber made/make sense to
begin with.

Some ppl here reportedly like C# so I guess this Java example is close
enough so is nice to read for you :p
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2006/10/05/instant-messaging-for-jabber-with-smack.html

I wonder, how do you see xmmp used - are there some design/spec/ideas
written already?

Obviously sending chat messages is something to consider, and I suppose
really straightforward too .. just a protocol implementataion,

but the architecture needed for that is kind of interesting more
generally too, or i don't know, but and interesting read anyway ..
things like:

""" (from:
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2006/10/05/instant-messaging-for-jabber-with-smack.html
)

    Is Anybody out There? Detecting Presence

[..]

This will give you the status of a user at a given point in time, but
you may need to have this information in real time; for example, to
update a list of contacts in a client application. You can get this
information in real time by implementing the |RosterListener| interface,
as shown here:

|    roster.addRosterListener(new RosterListener() {

        public void entriesAdded(Collection arg0) {
            // New contacts have been added
        }||

	public void presenceChanged(String arg0) {
            // The presence status of this user has changed
        }|

"""

Well, sounds certainly sensible for 'telephony' at least, messages and
talk I guess?

Ah but of course also avatar information can easily be central in
messaging too, no? Or I don't know.

Interesting to think what all kinds of stuff ppl actually want to go as
the presenceChanged data, hm, like mood mappings to emoticons or what? I
guess I should see/read how it is used in gtalk and whatnot and quit
laming o:p

so just read this rambling is a +1 on 'sounds like could be interesting'
or as 'easily worthwhile',
/me withdraws to left-behind (or however you are supposed to say
'takavasen')

> Thanks,
> Kel

from the birth town of irc *g*