[Opensim-dev] SceneObjectGroup vs SceneObjectPart

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 22 20:56:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:35:42PM +0100, Stefan Andersson wrote:
> > It would be good to see a proposal on how to change those objects into> something better. None of us are in love with them, but better> approaches haven't popped up yet.
> Probably because nobody has made any attempt at discussing and proposing changes; this mail was an attempt to get that ball rolling.
>
> There was some energy poured into analyzing how attachments were communicated; that would be a good start, if we could get a wiki page up just detailing what we know about scene entities.
>  > > * Related, we need to revise the xml serialization scheme and the db> > * schemes. The xml scheme should be user-friendly to the point where> > * you should be confident to create and edit objects in notepad,> > * basically. This is not the case at the moment. Massive duplication,> > * weird bit values and non-intuitive value ranges are king at the> > * moment.> > Given the amount of data in a prim, editing in notepad always is going> to be a bad idea. :) I think we've got something like 40 fields that> have to be sensible for the prim to work.
> >From working extensibly with shapes and serialization, I know that this is not the case.
>
> For example, consider something like
>
> <Object position="128.0 128.0 23.0">
> <Rectangle extrusion="straight" scale="1.0 2.0 5.0" offset="root"/>
> <Circle extrusion="sphere" scale="1 1 1" offset="0 0 1"/>
> </Object>
>
> that doesn't look like a bad idea at all to me.

That would be pretty sucky to parse though.  We should really be
breaking out the position bits into seperate data so they can be
accessed directly, and so there is no ambiguity of X Y Z or Z Y X for
values.

I do like the approach of having sane zero values for things so they can
be left out if they are defaults.  I think that will make life a bit
easier for making future portability here.

       -Sean