[Opensim-dev] SceneObjectGroup vs SceneObjectPart

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:24:04 UTC 2008

I think there's nothing I havent built I couldnt build again if I needed to
for sufficient cause.

That being said, I am also in favor of stay up and running while such
changes take place. And, of course, migration tools are just like gravy ;)

I think the ideal situation is a a seperate branch that really avoids
pursuit of 'really wierd solutions', and provides some means of migration.

speaking strictly as a content person for the moment ;)

Cheers

On Jan 22, 2008 10:00 AM, Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:

> Ok guys,
>
> since we haven't started the 0.6 discussion, I'd like to kick off with a
> couple of observations;
>
> * We need to revise the SceneObjectGroup/SceneObjectPart bit as it stands
> for several reasons: 1) It doesn't hold for attachments  2) It doesn't hold
> as a object model (we still have that root mess)  3) It's a hell of a lot of
> duplication, as several fields aren't used on child objects (like
> permissions and objectflags) and it's real bad db normalization.
> * Related, we need to revise the xml serialization scheme and the db
> schemes. The xml scheme should be user-friendly to the point where you
> should be confident to create and edit objects in notepad, basically. This
> is not the case at the moment. Massive duplication, weird bit values
> and non-intuitive value ranges are king at the moment.
>
> We need to kickstart these issues, I'm not entirely sure how. I do know
> that these kinds of radical changes are seriously hampered by the need for
> backwards compatibility; we now see ourselves painting ourselves into the
> very same kinds of corners that made other companies choose really weird
> solutions - the question is if we are going to go down the same route?
>
> So, should 0.6 be developed in a branch by itself, and with tools to
> migrate from 0.5 to it? How should we address the already-installed
> content?
>
> I am 100% tech on these issues, so you content people, please comment.
>
> Best,
> Stefan (lbsa71)

The wind
scours the earth for prayers