[Opensim-dev] Solution attempt about code duplication in database plugins

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Tue Jan 8 09:10:36 UTC 2008

> Wouldn't we expect users who aren't satisfied with performance to go > back and change/tune their database later on, with help from > documentation/irc/a consultant rather than spreading an "OpenSim > performs badly" meme? Is this simply not possible? (I ask this from a > position of relative ignorance about feasibility).
Oh, of course it is; mostly, my own tweaks have been about field type, field length and indexing. It's just that doing those things are god damn tedious if you're going to add support for them in an autocreate context, but very simple to change in an sql install script.
> I appreciate your point, but I'd also like to balance this with the fact > that I think autocreation for all databases cuts down on the repetition > and number of user questions on irc and mailing lists. Perhaps there's > some way to combine the two.
Yeah; I totally agree (being a fierce proponent of making life simple for the casual installer) - that's why I said the default should always be the option that is no-config-out-of-the-box.

I may be wrong, but I see it like this; if you've installed and set up your sql server, created your db and set up correct users and permissions and created your connection strings and got your sim up and running, doesn't that imply that you would be able to handle running a sql script too?

/Stefan