[Opensim-dev] Solution attempt about code duplication in database plugins

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:49:42 UTC 2008

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> I also think that the creation of tables, should be more explicit; we
> should ship sql, not autocreate. The autocreation approach, while
> simple for the beginner, leads to extremely limited control over db
> performance and by shipping this functionality we establish it as
> standard. Better then to have an entry-level no-config plug-in based
> on SQLite, and explicit instructions for intermediate-level sql server.
Wouldn't we expect users who aren't satisfied with performance to go
back and change/tune their database later on, with help from
documentation/irc/a consultant rather than spreading an "OpenSim
performs badly" meme?  Is this simply not possible? (I ask this from a
position of relative ignorance about feasibility).

I appreciate your point, but I'd also like to balance this with the fact
that I think autocreation for all databases cuts down on the repetition
and number of user questions on irc and mailing lists.  Perhaps there's
some way to combine the two.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey