[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] Questions

Adam Frisby adam at gwala.net
Wed Jan 2 06:11:34 UTC 2008

Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Hi, I wish to get a feeling for your opinions about the OpenSim
> development status timeline.
>
> Do you guys think that OpenSim will release version 1.0 (defined as a
> release meant to do almost all that the SL server does) within 2008

"Maybe". OpenSim isnt being built as a SL Server Simulator - it's being
built as a more generalised platform for 3D application hosting - this
means that while we are compatible with them, there isnt nessecarily a
focus on having every feature SL does by default (although it should be
pluggable with modules). Likewise - we will have features SL doesnt.
(and we already do.)

> What about voice? Is it foreseen for 1.0?

Again 'maybe'. There's a lot of people interested in it - so chances are
  yes, but it depends if someone chooses to implement it or not.

> Is 1.0 meant to have full C# scripting capabilities (full like today's
> implementation of LSL in SL server)

You can use C# today -- just prefix your script with a
//C#
as the first four characters, then check out this page.
http://teddmaa.blogspot.com/2007/09/pure-c-support.html

I'm sure we can add JavaScript easily enough as well via the JS.NET
compiler.

> I understand any "improvements" upon the SL server will be postponed
> to after the 1.0 release in order not to break compatibility with the
> SL viewer. Correct?

Nope. We dont need to break compatibility with the viewer to add
improvements -- there's a lot which I'd like to begin focusing on this
year, especially around the area of things like Meshes.

> Is integration of documents formats (MS Office or Open Office) a la
> Qwaq Forum on the roadmap?

This is probably a good idea - I'd like to use standard formats where
possible, but in the event we cant we definetely should be documenting them.

Regards,

Adam