[Opensim-dev] 3Di work about to be submitted

Johan Berntsson johan at ngigroup.com
Wed Feb 27 02:24:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

This is to inform that 3Di have been added new features to OpenSim, and
that we are planning to submit patches starting Monday next week.

The improvements include:
- dynamic load balancing (a region can be moved to another server
without restarting the servers)
- region splitting (a region can be split into two subregions if the
load is too high)
- Serialization/deserialization of scene presences (avatars)
- a grid monitor module (showing grid status in a web browser)
- improved packet recycling

Because the possible negative impact of big changes we have been
reluctant to submit changes until we had a chance to test them
throughly. 3Di now has a test grid, and we are reasonably confident that
the changes won't create problems for the community. Most of the changes
are in modules and will not affect OpenSim unless you chose to use them,
and the code modifications are mainly extra functions for
saving/restoring state on a stream. After extensive testing we see no
negative impact on the normal behaviour of OpenSim.

We plan to add our the modules in ThirdParty/3Di, using a 3Di namespace.
This is similar to the TribalMedia additions. We will also include
instructions on how to use the new load balancer modules, for those
interested in using or improving them.

Best regards,
Johan Berntsson, 3Di