[Opensim-dev] Attempt at replacing Vivox client

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Feb 26 15:19:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 08:38:03AM -0500, Dana Fagerstrom wrote:
> Hmmmm...  On second thought, jVoiceBridge would introduce a completely
> different implementation of voice for SL.  It's a great alternative but it
> clearly won't deal with the vivox side of the equation.

Honestly, there is no reason that Vivox has to be the backend.  I think
there was actually a relatively clean split made in the SL Viewer
between the main viewer and voice via SLVoice as a sub process.

As long as any future solution follows this same arch split, I think
they are welcomed additions to the ecosystem.

SLViewer  <---->  SLVoice alternatives
                     ^

SimServer  <---- Voice Server

The voice server probably needs to make some back call to the Sim or
Grid to sort out identity, but other than that voice will run very
nicely in an off band.  Given it's latency sensitivities, I'd suspect a
dedicated voice box is probably a good idea, even for smallish groups.
At least on the OpenSim front, we can peg the sim server boxes hard at
times.

	-Sean