[Opensim-dev] Groups and using our sims more

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sun Dec 21 23:35:07 UTC 2008

Excellent idea, Charles. It would be fun to have group conversations
while on my standalone. Here are some thoughts on it.

The UAI is a trio of services centered on individual users. The M is
bridging between individual users, and starts moving into the support
for social activities. For groups, what we need is a Group service.
(Note I'm using the word *service*, which may or may not be implemented
as a server) I would love to have a group service that would work in p2p
mode. So, for example, through my standalone's group services, I could
join some group that you have set up in OSGrid. And you could join a
group I create on my standalone.

Two interesting questions are how to (a) specify and (b) find groups.
For (a), just like for everything else in the HG, groups have to be
suffixed with the domain where they are created. So opensim-dev would
probably be opensim-dev@ http://osgrid.org:8006 or something like that.
For (b) I can imagine several things, from external data services to
true peer to peer search.

But having groups is not enough; you need group messaging, which ties
back to the M service.
The first logical step is to enable HG users to message each other, i.e.
make M p2p too. I haven't looked at the M service yet, so I'm not sure
what's involved, but I'm pretty sure it's feasible.

Taking from the experience of p2p-ing the UAI, I think a good strategy
for all of these services is to make things work within a [logical] grid
first, and then p2p that by having users carry along the addresses of
those services as they move around. So service interaction with an HG
user always goes to the address that the user is carrying around. (Hey,
inventory use this; hey Asset use that; hey Messaging, use that other; etc)