[Opensim-dev] Always mutable assets in OpenSim -- does it make sense?

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Sun Dec 14 16:52:00 UTC 2008

Hi,

the assets that we need to update are not assets that are sent to
the client. There is no reasonable way to update texture, animation,
or sound assets. Those are sent to the client and cached there.
However, it is possible to update prim and script assets, since the
client never sees them. On scripts, this makes little sense, unless
the "implicitly shared" approach is dropped. But introducing script
state in inventory will make immutable assets practical there again.
The only asset that needs updating is a prim assets, and that only
needs to be updated, and is only safe to update, when editing
attachments.
Solving the thread lifetime (not easy!) still doesn't solve the
issue, which is a crash in the middle of editing. Massive amounts of
work could be lost, so a means to save periodically is needed, and
mutable prim assets are the only place where this can be sensibly done.
 From my end, this is _not_ a proposal to move to generally treating
assets as mutable, merely a proposal to allow it in one special case
which could not be solved in another reasonable way.

Melanie